Senior Command & Control Architect - Space Mobility
Phoenix, AZ, United States
3 months ago
At Blue Origin, we envision millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth. We’re working to develop reusable, safe, and low-cost space vehicles and systems within a culture of safety, collaboration, and inclusion. Join our diverse team of problem solvers as we add new chapters to the history of spaceflight!
This role is a part of Test & Flight Operations team, providing centralized support to Business Units with the focus on design, build and maintenance of the ground systems, test and launch facilities across multiple locations.
As part of a small, hardworking, and accomplished team of Mission Systems and Flight Operations Engineers, you will work closely with space vehicle and ground subsystem teams, leading and performing tasks throughout the full system lifecycle. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of the mission operations concept, mission analysis and planning, flight planning, ground data systems, and tools used to operate advanced spaceflight vehicles. You will enjoy a fast-paced dynamic environment, contributing innovative solutions, while demonstrating personal leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and reliable spaceflight.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and dedication to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead subsystem definition, refine software architecture, and lead software implementation of satellite command and control (C2) capabilities for a cutting-edge satellite management system, capable of operating a large constellation of vehicles with a small team.
- Identify, derive, develop, and maintain mission systems requirements as they pertain to C2, telemetry, and alerting; including traceability and verification and validation approaches.
- Assist the operations team in creating operations products (procedures, documentation etc.) that support the flight dynamics aspects of mission operations, including interfaces between Command & Control, Mission Planning and Ground Station Antenna Systems.
- Manage a complex variety of needs, constraints, and tasks from mission stakeholders, including engineers representing flight vehicle systems, ground software engineers, flight operations, customers, and program management.
- Collaborate with the training team to plan training simulations and other training activities.
- Expertise in spacecraft telemetry, commanding and sequencing
- Experience developing and fielding production C2 software
- Experience managing software solution vendors or subcontracts.
- Experience with Agile software development processes
- Expertise with modern software development practices
- Experience in the development of mission operation and ground system software and infrastructure
- B.S. in computer science, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, physics or related technical field
- Strong understanding of the principles and methods of engineering complex systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast paced, dynamic work environment
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- M.S. in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, physics or related technical field
- Experience with C2 software tools (for ex. InControl) or experience as a C2 Operator of complex system
- Experience with requirements definition and management, preferably using DOORS Next Generation
- Familiarity with system safety analyses techniques including Functional Hazard Assessments (FHA), Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analyses (FMECA), and Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Experience with collaboration tools such as Confluence and JIRA
- Familiarity with version control, preferably Git
- Experience with configuration and product data management tools, preferably Windchill
- Experience in cloud infrastructure deployment and software orchestration
- Experience working in a technical training environment for engineers
- Experience working with and proposing to U.S. Government research agencies (e.g. NASA, AFRL, DARPA)
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Mission analysis, flight planning and timeline development
- Operational fault management
- Experience working on large complex programs with multiple partners
- First principles knowledge of all major spacecraft subsystems
Don’t meet all desired requirements? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every desired qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Washington Fair Chance Act, the California Fair Chance Act, the Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
California Applicant Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please reference the CA Applicant Privacy Notice here.