Staff Flight Test Engineer
Mojave, California, United States
12 days ago
Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
As Staff Flight Test Engineer, you will enable development and successful flight testing of the Stratolaunch Carrier Aircraft, the world’s largest-wingspan aircraft, and other high-speed test vehicles. You will provide effective leadership in the control room as a Test Conductor, or other lead position, during flight test and air-launch test missions. You will have an active role in developing test plans and schedules, mission procedure documentation, and compliance with approved launch license procedures. You should possess considerable experience in conducting disciplined, effective developmental flight test, or similar experience in a technically demanding environment. You must establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues on a small, agile design-to-flight team. You will be challenged with bringing unique and complex aircraft from initial flight to operational use, at a company that believes in giving our team members the authority and responsibility to succeed.
- Lead the mission control room team as a Test Conductor, or similar operational role, during experimental carrier aircraft envelope expansion missions
- Responsible for safe and effective conduct of ground and flight test missions, and engineering support from the mission control room
- Develop depth of engineering and system knowledge to enable rapid decision-making and task prioritization
- Support flight readiness reviews prior to test plan execution
- Coordinate range, airspace and support resources in support of flight test missions
- Develop and document procedures for expanded mission control room operations, to support air-launch test missions with multiple aircraft and separate control elements. Develop and document procedures covering all aspects of test mission execution for the integrated launch system
- Support development of test strategy and objectives, test plans and mission cards for ground and inflight testing. Identify test hazards and develop mitigation actions.
- Coordinate closely with vehicle engineering team to define test and data requirements, and identify system safety or operational concerns
- Manage and communicate test-specific vehicle limitations and flight readiness review actions
- Coordinate on-vehicle test requirements with overall manufacturing and program schedules
- Assess readiness of mission control room discipline engineers and support functions
- Travel, as needed, to support mission planning, launch approval meetings, and other tasks
- Demonstrate integrity, accountability and initiative to fulfill commitments
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution and a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Travel estimated to be approximately 5%
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave up to 16 weeks
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: