Sr. Dynamics Engineer
Mojave, California, United States
13 days ago
Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a Sr Dynamics Engineer to contribute to the development of an air-launched, hypersonic flight vehicle. This position includes owning the aeroelastic analysis, ground vibration testing, model correlation, and aeroelastic flight test of the hypersonic vehicle. This position also includes contributing to the vehicle’s structural and GNC technical performance, including meeting design and mission requirements, resolving technical challenges, and implementing technology upgrades that improve the competitive basis of the vehicle’s architecture.
- Lead the aeroelastic development of a hypersonic vehicle (analysis, ground test, and flight test)
- Perform aeroelastic analysis and report flutter margins against program requirements
- Perform aeroservoelastic analysis of hypersonic vehicle, as required, to support the GNC team
- Create and maintain models required to support other teams, such as a structural flex model for the GNC team
- Lead and perform ground tests, as required, to anchor the flutter model and perform other structural dynamic tests
- Develop instrumentation requirements for your domain and communicate them to the instrumentation engineers
- Support flight test and post-test analysis of the hypersonic vehicle, as required
- Evaluate vehicle loads and environments as it pertains to your models and analysis (such as gust, vibration, acoustics, etc.)
- Contribute to the structural FE model of the airframe using finite element analysis tools
- Create analysis reports and design review content to support the documentation and technical review of your area
- Contribute to vehicle loads development, as required
- Participate in the gathering of test data from other subsystems, as it pertains to your model inputs and analysis
- Evaluate risks and develop risk mitigation plans for structural dynamics
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the Structures Lead
- Travel, as needed, to support the company
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong fundamental structures and/or dynamics background
- Experience with the design, modeling, and analysis of composite structures using FEMAP/Nastran analysis software
- Experience with aeroelastic modelling using NASTRAN, ZAERO, and MATLAB
- Experience with aeroelastic ground testing and/or model correlation
- Experience with vehicle loads development
- Experience with vehicle or structural ground testing
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to present technical solutions and resolve questions
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Complex aerospace system development
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Experience with hypersonic and/or supersonic vehicle development
- Experience with Python, C++, Matlab, etc. for data analysis automation and numerically modelling and simulation
- Experience with flutter flight test and analysis
- Experience with air-launched vehicle development
- Experience with system dynamics closed loop feedback and control design as well as aeroservoelastic analysis
- Active S, TS, and/or SCI security clearance
Required Computer Skills:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook)
- 3D CAD experience
Preferred Computer Skills:
- Configuration management systems such as JIRA, GIT, JAMA, etc.
- Experience with Siemens NX and Teamcenter
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-10 years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
- Some travel (<5%) may be required
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan, up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: