Sr. Test Pilot
Mojave, California, United States
14 days ago
Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
As a Test Pilot on the Stratolaunch team, you will have the opportunity to accomplish new milestones in aviation. You will provide comprehensive flight test technical support for experimental and developmental aircraft and payload systems development. You will participate in flight test in either the Stratolaunch Model 351 Carrier Aircraft, the world’s largest wingspan aircraft, or the 747-400 Carrier Aircraft. You should possess extensive experience in developmental flight test, and sound judgment to plan and accomplish program goals safely and effectively. You must establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues on a small, agile design-to-flight team. Tasks include planning and flying test flights as Pilot in Command (PIC) or Second in Command (SIC); supporting ground tests as aircrew or Test Conductor; preparing system test plans and flight test cards; participating in engineering design reviews, simulator evaluations, technical and safety reviews, and flight briefings; drafting flight manual and operational guidance and documenting test results. As a key member of the Flight Operations team, you will have an essential role in meeting all Flight Operations objectives. You will be challenged with bringing unique and complex aircraft from development stage to operational use and proving capabilities for high-speed vehicle launch.
- Serve as PIC/SIC for the experimental Model 351 Carrier Aircraft and/or the experimental 747-400, as well as other aircraft to be used for chase and training missions.
- Write flight test plans, test cards, flight reports, and final test reports
- Lead and/or participate in system design and design reviews
- Develop test strategies, test plans and test procedures for aircraft and components
- Lead and/or participate in ground and flight test events as test crew member or Test Conductor
- Participate in control room operations as Mission Director or training officer, as required
- Author and/or update Pilot Operating Handbook and related guidance, to include development of normal and emergency procedures
- Maintain flying currency and proficiency in multiple different aircraft types
- Must be able to work in a high stress environment
- Pilot graduate of a full course test pilot school (SETP-recognized), or possess equivalent experience in developmental flight test programs
- Minimum 1,200 hours total PIC flight time, to include at least 500 hours in turbine aircraft
- Three years of test pilot experience on developmental flight test programs
- FAA Commercial Multi‐Engine Land pilot certificate, without a centerline thrust restriction
- FAA Second Class medical certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, or similar technical foundation to support aircraft design
- Be independent and motivated; able to self‐direct and manage time effectively
- Be able to work irregular hours and workdays, and travel periodically
- Be knowledgeable of applicable Federal Aviation Regulations for flight operations and aircraft certification
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Possess or be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance
- United States citizenship
- Must have the ability to work in cramped, confined cockpit environments in both hot and cold environments for up to 8 hours with limited movement. Must have the ability to operate cockpit flight controls with up to 150 lbs. of rudder forces, elevator forces up to 120 lbs., and aileron forces up to 90 lbs.
- Must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as instructed, to include flight helmet, oxygen mask and backpack parachute, and have the ability to egress cockpit area up to 10 feet off the ground via rope.
HIGHLY DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- FAA Airline Transport Rating (ATP), or additional FAA type ratings and experience in multi-engine, non-centerline thrust aircraft
- 747-400 type rating
- Possess FAA high altitude endorsement or equivalent military training
- Experience as pilot in heavy multi-engine turbine aircraft
- Six years of relevant experience on developmental flight test programs
- Experience with external stores carriage and separation flight tests
- Master’s Degree in engineering or related technical field
- Previous experience with advanced flight controls or autonomous aircraft development
- Previous experience with experimental or modified aircraft, technical and safety review boards, and configuration control
- Familiar with government flight test organizations, ranges, and procedures
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is in Mojave, CA
- Travel to CONUS or OCONUS test locations for extended test campaigns
Benefits and our location:
- Up to %15 annual bonus
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: