Mojave, California, United States
20 days ago
Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a level II or Sr Mechanical Engineer to support design, integration, testing, and maintenance of hypersonic aircraft mechanical and structural systems for the propulsion system. This position will include collaborating with other system owners to understand requirements and engineer solutions. Areas of focus may include design, build, and testing of the propulsion test stands and fixtures, ground support equipment (GSE), as well as feed system design for the vehicle. You must be comfortable receiving direction and guidance from lead mechanical & propulsion engineers and supporting the design through the entire design life cycle – from concept through integration and test.
- Support the design, build, integration, and qualification testing of mechanical systems and hardware
- Perform structural and thermal analysis of mechanical components and/or assemblies
- Spec and order hardware, as required, to fabricate your designs
- Create component and assembly drawings for all hardware
- Assist mechanics in integrating all components and assemblies onto the vehicle
- Test components and/or assemblies to prepare for integrated ground testing
- Develop engineering tools, as needed, to complete their tasking
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the hypersonic vehicle propulsion lead
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of these disciplines: mechanical design, fluid-mechanical design, structural engineering, thermal analysis, kinematics, component or assembly level mechanical testing, electrical and/or instrumentation experience
- Experience with metal component design, both billet machined components and weldments
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to explain rationale and/or resolve concerns
- Ability to work on their own initiative
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Experience with aerospace-grade hardware, mechanical design best practices, and ASME y14.5
- Experience with ground test hardware, including releasing engineering definition and developing work instructions
- Experience with component-level or subsystem level test planning and execution
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
Required Computer Skills:
- Computer Aided Design tools – NX (preferred), CATIA, or Solidworks
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Preferred Computer Skills:
- Programming – Matlab or Python
- Familiarity with configuration management systems – Jira (preferred)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Level II ($85,000-$123,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 2-5 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Sr Level ($104,000-$155,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-10 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Position based in Mojave, CA
- Travel, as needed, to support the department. Travel estimated to be <5%
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave up to 16 weeks
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan, up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: