Staff Avionics Engineer, Hypersonic Vehicle
Mojave, California, United States
a month ago
Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a Staff Avionics Engineer for the Talon-A hypersonic vehicle program. This position will lead the Talon-A hypersonic vehicle avionics team through continued design, integration, testing, and maintenance of the multiple Talon-A hypersonic vehicles. You will be considered a subject matter expert and provide technical leadership and mentorship to a group of avionics engineers. This position will include coordination, planning, scheduling, and testing of a broad range of avionics components. Candidates must have an aerospace development background and relevant experience in aerospace systems integration.
- Lead architecture, design, analysis, integration, and testing of avionics and electrical systems
- Maintain configuration control over major avionics system elements including wiring diagrams, 3D CAD, work orders, etc.
- Coordinate with and lead engineers across a broad spectrum of disciplines to understand requirements and engineer technical solutions.
- Lead coordination with other subsystem leads to develop requirements, test plans, and procedures.
- Perform analysis to gauge system design adequacy and performance to meet program requirements.
- Coordinate with external customers to support range integration, launch license applications, safety documentation and analyses, and payload integration.
- Review presentations and support design reviews throughout vehicle development
- Support ground and/or flight test, as required.
- Evaluate risks and risk mitigation plans to determine if the risks and mitigations are appropriate.
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the Talon-A Chief Engineer on a weekly and monthly basis
- Communicate with the Chief Engineer of Avionics to address avionics needs such as training, test equipment upgrades, avionics-specific processes, etc.
- Management of direct reports (1:1s, reviews, etc.)
- Contribute to the integration of complex aerospace systems.
- Travel, as needed, to support the department and customer meetings.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of these disciplines: electrical engineering, avionics, experimental aircraft and/or launch vehicle integration.
- Experience with Ethernet data
- Experience with data acquisition and instrumentation (thermocouples, accelerometers, strain)
- Experience with electrical power systems
- Experience creating wiring diagrams and/or circuit schematics.
- Experience with electrical design analysis such as power budgets, thermal analysis, or RF budgets
- Experience managing personnel
- Ability to work on your own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals.
- Complex aerospace system development
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Knowledge of environmental testing (vibration, thermal, shock)
- Technical leadership experience
- Experience with technical task estimations and contributing to schedule planning
- Experience with testing of RF avionics components such as RF transmitters, RF cabling, and RF antennas.
- Experience with MIL-STD-461 Conducted Susceptibility (CS), Radiative Susceptibility (RS), and Radiative Emissions (RE) testing.
- Knowledge of flight termination systems
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance.
Required Computer Skills:
- Experience in C/C++, Python, Matlab, or equivalent
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Preferred Computer Skills:
- Experience with data acquisition systems such as National Instruments, ACRA, Safran, or equivalent
- Experience with IADS
- Familiarity with configuration management systems – JIRA, JAMA, Confluence, or equivalent
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution with 10-20 years of experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Position based in Mojave, CA
- Travel, as needed, to support the department. Travel estimated to be <5%
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan, up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: