Sr. HVAC Engineer
Los Angeles - Paris - Cap Canaveral, France
2 months ago
Our mission is to build a future full of life, on Earth and beyond. This future will only be made possible if we figure out how we – humans can live respectfully as part of our environment, in a sustainable and regenerative way. We therefore design and build environment-controlled modules able to create ideal conditions for plants to grow efficiently everywhere – making possible durable farming and biodiversity conservation on Earth, and optimized life-support in space.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES LOCATION FLEXIBILITY AND TRAVELLING BETWEEN LOS ANGELES - PARIS - CAP CANAVERAL SITES.
SR. HVAC ENGINEER
As an HVAC Engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to work with a cross functional team of engineers that consolidates execution between product analysis, design, and production extending through product system verification and operations. You will be equally anchored in all disciplines giving you the ability to spearhead change at the inception of product development, through production, to product system validation.
The HVAC Engineer will be part of product development team and responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance for all HVAC systems supporting the production and operations of Interstellar Lab. This role will be responsible for providing technical support for the design, operation, and troubleshooting of products’ HVAC components and systems, while overseeing HVAC installations and maintenance activities.
Your creativity and relentless commitment to quality will be expected to analyze, create and maintain HVAC systems designs, define and improve processes, and develop product validation techniques in order to ultimately build a state-of-the-art and fully reusable HVAC system capable of safely and reliably meeting required performances and allowing for user operations. You will also put your engineering knowledge to the test by performing real-time troubleshooting on the products as it goes from the integration phase through operations. Our fundamental goal is to allow life to grow anywhere; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of plants materials and users in charge of growing them.
- Contribute to product development with a team of engineers and contractors throughout the engineering, procurement, and production process
- Lead thermal control system architecture definition through identification and sizing of components and proposing advanced technology pursuits
- Develop HVAC component and system level requirements based on initial product requirements
- Lead creation of component specifications, component DFMA and other technical design documents
- Mechanical design and packing of HVAC components to meet system requirements while optimizing for efficiency, cost, weight, manufacturability and serviceability
- Manage the design, development, and issuance of drawings, documentation, and reports for HVAC systems
- Contribute to design of HVAC systems for various project scales: growing modules, payload and warehouse.
- Use fluid dynamic, thermodynamic, and heat transfer scientific knowledge as required to design tubing and piping systems
- Interact with other engineers to design the physical piping layout of the fluids systems
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, and performance of equipment, components and systems
- Select components, such as valves, pumps, piping, tanks, and filters, and provide detailed specifications for their purchase
- Develop and execute component and subsystem design verification plans and test methods to validate produce adherence to requirements
- Work closely with other engineers to increase system automation
- Write procedures for system activation and maintenance
- Complete design and drafting of schematics (Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams – P&IDs)
- Recommend designs / modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification
- Assist with advanced troubleshooting
- Own and perform all activation testing with a small team of engineers and technicians
- Provide innovative solutions to problems while working with minimal supervision
- Prepare plans, details, specifications, and commercial bid documents for plumbing, heating, ventilating, air conditioning and general piping system
- Review and evaluate the work of consultants, contractors, and other external parties
- Manage suppliers and projects to ensure timely program deliverables within budget
- Interact with vendors and resolve technical warranty issues.
- Oversee project schedule accuracy and milestone reporting to engineers, contractors, fabricators, and project stakeholders
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
- 5+ years of professional experience with fluid systems, hydraulics and HVAC systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Polyvalent spirit and ability to switch from design to hands-on phases
- Demonstrated experience designing high quality HVAC systems for high reliability applications
- Experience developing new hardware, not just incremental updates
- Self-starter with demonstrated experience on multiple projects making hardware work within demanding time and resource constraints
- Able to identify and implement efficient paths of action to complete assigned work
- Passion for energy efficiency and innovation
- Expertise in 3D modeling fluid systems
- Demonstrated experience with CATIA/3DExperience or similar CAD software
- Expertise in running CFD analysis and simulating HVAC systems
- Demonstrated experience with SIMULIA or similar CFD software
- Hands-on experience working with complex fluid or mechanical systems in a professional setting
- Expertise in troubleshooting systems utilizing remote operations and instrumentation feedback
- Experience with fluid systems assembly, operation and test
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals, blueprints, reports, wiring diagrams and schematics to perform interventions
- General hands-on mechanical experience: aerospace, automotive, robotics, etc.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Experience working through system trades, pushing back on requirements, and following through with verification and validation
- Excellent written and oral communication; especially translating technical concepts for non-technical audiences
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small opening and climbing hand over hand, lifting 25 lbs., and working on ladders/lifts at elevated heights
- Ability to work in indoor/outdoor environments requiring exposure to heat and cold
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at Interstellar Lab. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks.
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.