Membrane Structure Engineer
2 months ago
Our mission is to build a future full of life, on Earth and beyond. Our vision: a future where technology is enabling humans to live in harmony with their environment. A future where biodiversity thrives on Earth and life expands in space. To do so we design and build environment-controlled modules able to create ideal conditions for plants to grow efficiently everywhere – making possible durable farming and biodiversity conservation on Earth, and optimized life-support in space.
THIS POSITION IS ON SITE AND REQUIRES 6-9 MONTHS IN PARIS AT OUR BIOPOD FACILITY AS A START, PRIOR TO DEPLOY AT NEW FACILITY IN THE US
MEMBRANE STRUCTURE ENGINEER
As Membrane Structure Engineer, you will join the Engineering team to work on the design of Interstellar Lab controlled-environment modules structure. You will contribute to building the next generation of biofarms on Earth and adapting our system for future space mission. You will be a part of a cross-disciplinary, innovative team of talented individuals from around the world.
You will be working on inflatable membrane in particular for our terrestrial product BioPod. You will be focused on designing, performing detailed stress analysis, by classical hand analysis as well as Finite Element Methods (FEM), manufacturing, testing, assembly of our membranes. You will support structural design of our membranes from conceptual phase to development and manufacturing. Your technical duties involve the design and development of new products and processes throughout the product lifecycle and influencing and improving new and existing designs.
- Design inflatable/pneumatic structures in accordance with the technical requirements, specifications and environmental conditions
- Conducting Structural Analysis, mechanical and physical properties and modeling of mechanical properties
- 2D/3D model membranes and characterize under static forces
- Calculation of stiffness values, surveying of membrane structures, define ruin modes, testing and endurance plans
- Monitor manufacturing, validate process, quality and installation
- Analyze, model and solve complex, multi-disciplinary design challenges in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborate on DfMa, testing and assembly with the manufacturing team to complete prototypes
- Aid and develop prototyping process within Interstellar Lab which meets engineering and program milestones and provides operations with testing properties
- Maintain and advance best practices for computer-aided design, parametric design, and BIM workflows and methodologies within product teams
- Work with suppliers to achieve the best possible product in terms of craftsmanship, cost, and engineering, while also staying as close to the design vision as possible
- Experience in tensile structure, pneumatic, membrane or inflatable is a must
- Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering or other related discipline
- 7+ years professional experience in structural engineering in a production environment
- 7+ years professional digital modeling experience with a 2D and 3D modeling tool/platform
- Ability to generate FEM/analytical models of mechanical parts, modules, and assemblies
- Ability to perform classical analysis using industry standard hand calculation methods
- Understanding of engineering principles and practices
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary design and development teams
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Background in Aeronautic / Aerospace industries
- Experience in multiple phases, from concept, to design and manufacturing
- Knowledge of industry-standard mechanical design principles, to include, but not limited to parametric design, model-based definition, material hardware selection, manufacturing and production processes
- Experience performing fatigue and damage tolerance analysis utilizing tools such as NASGRO or AFGROW
- Ability to verbally and graphically communicate design concepts during design reviews among peers
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Advanced technical knowledge of prototyping, manufacturing, tooling and assembly processes
- Able to manage and prioritize tasks and time efficiently and able to work whilst under pressure
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and as part of an effective team.
- Experience creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools such as MSC Patran, Nastran, FEMAP, Abaqus(Simulia) or ANSYS
- CATIA V5/V6 or 3DExperience (+++)
- Microsoft Office Suite
Paris (FRANCE) with possible relocation to Los Angeles (USA) after 6-9 months in Paris.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Pay range: €60,000.00 - €80,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at Interstellar Lab. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks.
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.