Sr. Electrical Engineer
Los Angeles - Paris - Cap Canaveral, France
2 months ago
Our mission is to build a future full of life, on Earth and beyond. Our vision: a future where technology is enabling humans to live in harmony with their environment. A future where biodiversity thrives on Earth and life expands in space. To do so we design and build environment-controlled modules able to create ideal conditions for plants to grow efficiently everywhere – making possible durable farming and biodiversity conservation on Earth, and optimized life-support in space..
THIS POSITION REQUIRES LOCATION FLEXIBILITY AND TRAVELLING BETWEEN LOS ANGELES - PARIS - CAP CANAVERAL SITES.
As an Electrical Engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to work with a cross functional team of engineers that consolidates execution between product analysis, design, and production extending through product system verification and operations. You will be equally anchored in all disciplines giving you the ability to spearhead change at the inception of product development, through production, to product system validation.
The Electrical Engineer will be part of product development team and responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance for all power systems supporting the production and operations of Interstellar Lab. This role will be responsible for providing technical support for the design, operation, and troubleshooting of products’ electrical components and systems, while overseeing electrical installations and maintenance activities.
Your creativity and relentless commitment to quality will be expected to analyze, create and maintain electrical systems designs, define and improve processes, and develop product validation techniques in order to ultimately build a state-of-the-art and fully reusable electrical system capable of safely and reliably meeting required performances and allowing for user operations. You will also put your engineering knowledge to the test by performing real-time troubleshooting on the products as it goes from the integration phase through operations. Our fundamental goal is to allow life to grow anywhere; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of plants materials and users in charge of growing them.
- Design and develop high reliability electrical systems for Interstellar Lab products, with expertise in electrical design and associated software tools
- Work with engineers, technicians, and internal stakeholders to plan and prioritize work on electrical systems that support product development and operations
- Provide technical leadership across the organization, manage related risk and change across the program, drive new technology introduction, and provide mentoring for less senior engineers
- Drive electrical architecture trade, product requirements, component selection, design analysis, schematic capture, prototyping, bring-up, design documentation, manufacturing planning, and production test for electrical designs
- Work collaboratively with other teams to define the scope of development projects and initial product requirements as new designs move from concept, through prototype, and into production
- Develop, execute, and analyze the electrical system, testing on hardware at the integrated level to validate the as-built product is ready for operations and root cause issues that require in-depth investigations across product hardware systems
- Inspect, troubleshoot, maintain, and repair electrical systems, including new and operating products machinery
- Support build and maintenance through troubleshooting build problems and work to simplify and streamline recurring work to enable a higher production cadence with higher reliability and lower labor hours per mission
- Define acceptance testing and qualification requirements of new and existing hardware, perform development and qualification testing to prove out design, and formally document test results
- Manage system upgrades/repairs including managing contractors, schedules, and budgets
- Source replacement parts and liaise with vendors in collaboration with supply chain team
- Build reports and present information on equipment maintenance statuses for all critical equipment as required for internal and external customers
- Collaborate with engineering and managers to maintain systems in peak operating condition
- Collaborate with engineering and managers to develop/update detailed work instructions for equipment maintenance including blueprints, wiring diagrams, and schematics
- Execute processes products-wide to increase reliability developments
- Ensure the team follows all regulations and appropriate Interstellar Lab procedures including quality policies, safety policies, and other governing standards
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 5+ years of professional experience designing electrical systems
- 5+ years of experience with commercial equipment wiring, maintenance and troubleshooting
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Polyvalent spirit and ability to switch from design to hands-on phases
- Experience with NX or similar CAD software
- Demonstrated experience designing high quality electrical systems for high reliability applications
- Experience developing new hardware, not just incremental updates
- Experience working through system trades, pushing back on requirements, and following through with verification and validation
- Self-starter with demonstrated experience on multiple projects making hardware work within demanding time and resource constraints
- Journeyman electrician license
- Experience with 3 phase electrical systems
- Experience with French and American volt systems
- Ability to install electrical components according to current NEC (US) or IEC (EU) code
- Experience with local electrical installation requirements.
- Demonstrated skill in practicing safety requirements and EU-OSHA / OSHA standards when working with hazardous energy, heavy loads, working at heights and operating equipment
- Fire systems knowledge
- Able to identify and implement efficient paths of action to complete assigned work
- Ability to test, calibrate, diagnose, and repair various devices and controls including industrial motor control centers, and programmable logic controllers
- Ability to use a variety of electrician’s hand tools as well as measuring and testing instruments
- Demonstrable knowledge and/or understanding of codes, rules, regulations and standards of electrical equipment
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals, blueprints, reports, wiring diagrams and schematics to perform interventions
- Ability to manage and oversee the electrical equipment inventory
- Excellent verbal and written communication and computer skills
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small opening and climbing hand over hand, lifting 25 lbs., and working on ladders/lifts at elevated heights
- Ability to work in indoor/outdoor environments requiring exposure to heat and cold
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at Interstellar Lab. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks.
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.