Jr. Embedded engineer (electronics & programming)
Los Angeles, Paris, Cap Canaveral, France
2 months ago
At Interstellar Lab our mission is to build a future full of life, on Earth and beyond. We believe in a future where technology is enabling humans to live in harmony with nature, a future where biodiversity thrives and expands, a future where terrestrial life become multi-planetary.
To build this future, we design, manufacture and operate controlled-environment biofarms that unleash the power of plants. On Earth and in Space. Our solutions combine Hardware, AI and Bioscience. We use controlled-environment technology to mimic a multitude of conditions to allow plants, fungi and microorganisms to grow faster and better.
On Earth, we are pioneering biofarming at scale, boosting production of bioactive compounds and providing a sustainable and safe source of plant materials. In Space, we provide farming units to grow efficiently food for astronaut while accelerating plant research in microgravity.
We are recruiting all over the world based on talent and motivation. We don't believe in remote work.
ALL POSITIONS ARE ON SITE AND REQUIRES 6-9 MONTHS IN PARIS AS A START.
In collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team composed of plant scientists, software engineers, aerospace engineers, mechanical engineers, architects and material scientists, you will be the bridge between the software and system team. Your mission will be to design, build and operate the automated systems of our controlled-environment BioPods. This include: sensors acquisition, PLC programming, designing & building electrical system, PCB design and low level programming.
This role is very hands-on with hardware and you will write software all the way from embedded firmware & PLC to high-level test code
We are looking for hacker mentality, going beyond the circle of standard solutions, ability to understand, adapt and learn quickly in a challenging environment
- Write embedded software running on PLC to automate Biopods main functions (Python, Rust)
- Write embedded software running on custom PCB to control individual systems (MicroPython, C, C++, Rust)
- Propose and develop long-term software architectures for automated test infrastructure
- Invent new tools that enable more frequent and reliable software deployment, automated data review, and automated configuration verification
- Analyze test results and bugs that require in-depth investigations
- Hands-on integration and troubleshooting of Biopods hardware/software systems
- Build & Design custom PCB and electronic devices
- Implement advanced control algorithm
- Master’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline OR 4+ years of experience in embedded software/hardware development in lieu of a degree
- Significant experience in electronics engineering
- Development experience in Python, C, C++, Go, or Rust
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Fluency in Linux, including Bash shell scripting and Network troubleshooting
- Strong knowledge of electronics, controls and sensors data acquisition
- Experience in IoT software / hardware development & architecture
- Experience with Modbus
- Experience with PoE
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging skills (both software and hardware)
- Knowledge of state machines
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Basic knowledge in electrical engineering
- Reliable and effective communication skills
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small opening and climbing hand over hand, lifting 25 lbs., and working on ladders/lifts at elevated heights
- Ability to work in indoor/outdoor environments requiring exposure to heat and cold
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at Interstellar Lab. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks.
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.