Software Engineer II
Mojave, California, United States
2 months ago
Stratolaunch is developing an air-launch platform to contribute to high speed research and development. The goal of Stratolaunch is to use the air-launch platform for enabling technologies that may not exist otherwise. Stratolaunch has the potential for creating technology development opportunities for commercial, philanthropic and governmental organizations to collect rich and actionable data and drive advancements in science, research, and technology.
To achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch needs a Software Engineer II to develop and test flight software on an autonomous rocket-powered air-launch vehicle. This engineer will contribute to the design and coding phases of the software development lifecycle and collaborate with the VMS Systems Engineer in formulation of the software requirements and test plans. The Software Engineer II will integrate third party-developed guidance, navigation, and control application code in addition to development of subsystem management code and collaborating with other vehicle subsystem leads throughout system development, ground test, and flight test.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and test new flight software in support of advanced rocket-powered air-launch vehicle systems
- Collaborate with stakeholders to understand challenges and develop software requirements and solutions
- Support flight software architecture development, both concept and implementation
- Develop software components to interface with and control vehicle sensors and effectors
- Develop and execute automated software test processes in support of software verification and validation
- Support various lab/bench hardware tests with custom software
- Contribute to hardware integration with the development of interface documents
- Support integration of the air-launch vehicle systems with the carrier aircraft
- Perform design and/or analysis to support component development
- Provide technical guidance for projects within the larger program
- Contribute to the integration of complex aerospace systems
- Travel, as needed, to support projects
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Real-time embedded software development
- C/C++ language programming
- Real-time operating systems (Xenomai, VxWorks, INTEGRITY, Deos, LynxOS, etc.)
- Serial communications, software test, and computer networking
- Communication standards and protocols e.g. RS422, UDP/TCP
- Source version control tools such as Git, SVN, etc.
- Excellent written communication and software documentation skills
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and provide interface guidance to varied audiences to develop airborne and ground support systems.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Digital flight control system implementation
- Flight computer and/or vehicle management computer software development, test, and integration
- Agile Software Development methodologies
- Guidance, Navigation, and Control algorithm implementation
- Hardware in the loop simulation and testing
- Work management tools such as JIRA
- LabVIEW programming
- Python Programming
- Linux operating system
- Safety-critical system design standards
- Digital and analog circuit design
- Security clearance
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 2-plus years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Travel estimated to be approximately <5%
- Position is based in Mojave, CA. Consideration for telework or hybrid (partial remote/on-site work) work location arrangements.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: