Aerodynamics Hypersonic CFD Engineer
Mojave, California, United States
2 months ago
Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a level II, Sr, Staff, or Principal-level Aerodynamics CFD Engineer to contribute to the aerodynamic design of current and future Stratolaunch hypersonic vehicles. Your tasking may include conceptual design trade studies, detailed design tasks, and the development of analytical tools to support the team. This position will include evaluation of a broad range of technical data.
- Predict vehicle aerodynamics using CFD and empirical methods
- Develop tools to streamline CFD analysis and post-processing of data
- Develop aerodynamic models for a variety of hypersonic vehicle configurations
- Contribute to development of aerodynamic databases using analytical, numerical, ground and flight test data
- Develop and implement aero tolerances
- Document inputs, assumptions, and limitations
- Analyze wind tunnel and flight test data, as required
- Support development of vehicle outer mold lines
- Support the preparation of business proposals to the US Government and industry
- Travel, as needed, to support the company
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of, and experience with aerodynamics, CFD, performance, stability & control, and aerospace vehicle design
- Experience with subsonic, transonic, and hypersonic theory and analyses
- Experience with supersonic vehicle development and/or test
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to obtain a security clearance at the TS/SCI level
- Experience with hypersonic vehicle development and/or test
- Experience with wind tunnel testing
- Experience with multi-species chemical reacting flows
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
Required Computer Skills:
- Proficiency with CFD analysis tools
- Experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software tools
- Scripting languages (Python, Matlab, or similar)
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
Preferred Computer Skills:
- Proficiency with US3D, Fun3D, Pointwise, Link3D, StarCCM, and/or Kestrel
- Familiarity with configuration management systems – Jira (preferred)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Level II ($85,400-$123,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 2-5 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Sr Level ($104,000-$155,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-10 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Staff Level ($126,500-$195,400): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 10-20 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Principal Level ($154,000-$246,300): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 20-25 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Position based in Mojave, CA, though position allows for remote or partial remote/on-site work.
- Travel estimated to be <10%
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: